These days are challenging and so the future will be. In a VUCA world, where not only videos go viral, it is increasingly difficult to stay resilient and active (instead of reactive) and focus on possibilities.
One of the basic needs of human beings is to develop their own personality.
And one of the basic requirements in companies is to give employees the chance to develop their skills for doing a good job.
But agile and virtual working environments require a wider range of competencies compared to the past. So let’s take the chance and create a future- and people-oriented leadership- and personnel development.
- Start at the top. Leaders are role models. Leaders who lead leaders as well. What they do, will be copied. Even in small or agile companies or horizontal organizations there are some leaders, who hold more accountability and will be perceived as good example.
- Empowerment rules. To empower somebody to do something means not only to impart knowledge to him but also help how to deploy it. Blended learning has to be completed by possibilities to give it a trial – and perhaps error. So please consider to establish an error culture if not yet existent.
- Look at the individual. There are lots of different personality types in your staff with different needs, motives, instincts and imprinting. Please consider: all of them evolved their best learning approach and the learning curves of some might be more flat.
- Make use of psychology and neurosciences. People develop best, when you foster their self. It starts with self-responsibility and self-afficacy, which can highly affect motivation. Motivational structure is also fundamental for the next step to self-reflection and self-consciousness, which in turn is crucial for individual fulfilment in an executive position.
- Set up a spectrum of skills your company needs for future challenges and investigate which employees have them already, accumulate motivation and personality profiles and conduct workshops to encourage collaboration and best practice.
- Look ahead, plan and be ready for change. Your leadership development strategy should be as flexible and resilient as your organization.
Looking forward to your POV, ideas and notions.